What is the ketogenic diet? Pros and Cons of a Ketogenic Diet
Ketogenic diet and everything you need to know about it
The ketogenic diet has recently become one of the best-fit body diets you’ve ever wanted. Nowadays, people have started to be more aware of their figure. One of the main reasons for this is the chronological increase in obesity problems which have already spread in most communities. Especially in America, obesity has become a big problem nowadays. The ketogenic diet helps you stay fit on a low-carb diet, which can make you feel lighter and fitter.
In this article, we are going to talk about the Keto Diet and everything you need to know about it.
What is the ketogenic diet?
Ketogenic is the term used for a low-carb diet, much like the Atkins diet. The main idea of the ketogenic diet is to get more calories in our body from the protein and fat elements in our diet and less from the carbohydrate elements. If you’re on a ketogenic diet, you should cut back on easily digestible carbs like sugar, pastries, and white bread.
So now that we know what a Keto diet is, we are heading for this diet.
What should be the diet for the ketogenic diet and what are some things you can eat while on a ketogenic diet
Whenever you hear conversations about excessive weight loss, you will find that the ketogenic diet will always come at some point in that conversation. The ketogenic diet has helped us a lot to make our figure what we always wanted. Here in this part of the article, we are going to discuss what to eat and what to avoid while on a ketogenic diet.
The first rule of thumb on a ketogenic diet is to reduce your intake of carbohydrates. While on a ketogenic diet, your daily carbohydrate intake should be reduced to 50 grams per day. However, there are stricter and more flexible versions of the ketogenic diet.
In the ketogenic diet, when you reduce your carbohydrate intake, on the one hand, you will replace that reduced amount of carbohydrate with a higher amount of fat on the other. The fats from the ketogenic diet will help provide approx. – 75% of your total calories. Protein will take 20% of the rest, leaving only 5% for foods high in carbohydrates. Therefore, you should keep this in mind when establishing a diet for yourself.
Ketogenic diet meal plan
Switching to a ketogenic diet can be a satisfying and overwhelming feeling. However, always remember that it is difficult to stick to a diet. A lot of people leave it out because they can’t stand it. So here is a list of foods that are suitable for your keto diet.
In the beginning, there will be foods that will help your ketogenic diet.
- Free-range, fully organic whole eggs can be a great start to the list. These eggs are the best option on a ketogenic diet.
- Chicken and turkey are the other non-egg poultry products that you can eat on a ketogenic diet.
- Oily fish like wild salmon, herring, and mackerel are great options.
- Meat will be one of the essential things that you should have in your diet. Grass-fed beef, pork, game, and offal may be the best options.
- Whole dairy products like yogurt, cream, and butter are other great foods.
- Whole cheeses like cheddar, brie, goat cheese, mozzarella, and cream cheese are the whole cheese products you can try on a ketogenic diet.
There are other foods like macadamia nuts, walnuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and other foods that you should try when you are eating. follow a ketogenic diet.
Foods to Avoid
- Bread and other baked goods
- Sweets and other sweet foods.
- Sugary drinks
- Pasta, cereals, and cereal products
- Beans and legumes
- Different fruits and sauces are rich in carbohydrates.
You should also avoid unhealthy fats, processed foods, and diet foods.
Therefore, the food list provided above contains the foods that you can eat while on a ketogenic diet. We’ve also included things to avoid while on a ketogenic diet.
Read also: GM diet: how to lose weight in 7 days
The process of ketosis:
The ketosis method is easy to understand. Ketosis is basically when our body begins to act the way we want it to.
Our bodies generally burn carbohydrates for our daily dose of energy in our collection. It happens because of our diets. We maintained a high carbohydrate diet as we grew older. Thus, our body begins to burn these carbohydrates to provide us with energy because it is easier for the body to break down carbohydrates better. This is how carbohydrates are burned and fat is stored in our bodies. Although we have high carbohydrate and low fat intake in our diets, the low-fat content is still stored in our body day in and day out and makes us victims of obesity.
Hence, ketosis was born to help our body burn fat and provide us with a fit figure and healthy lifestyle. Ketosis is a low carbohydrate diet that almost stops supplying our body with carbohydrates. Then our body will receive a high-fat delivery. Then it starts to burn fat for our daily dose of calories. This is how stored fat is burned, leaving ketones to provide us with energy. In this way, our body goes into ketosis due to the ketogenic diet.
The ketones in our body can make our brain work faster. So, while you are in ketosis, your body will supply ketones to your brain. As our brains work on ketones, during ketosis, you will get a more complete and uninterrupted delivery. This is how ketosis will also help stimulate brain cells and improve your brain function.
The ketogenic diet is a great plan for a short-term weight loss solution. However, there are a few precautions you should take before you start ketosis. Because we are compatible with the high carbohydrate diet from birth. Now, if you have to suddenly change your diet to a low-carb diet, you need to check whether your body is ready for it or not.
So here is a list of precautions to take before embarking on a ketogenic diet.
- First of all, make sure your relationship with fat, and we mean fatty foods are good. You have no problem with fatty foods. Because while you’re in ketosis, you can’t try these high-carb, processed foods. Therefore, we suggest making small changes at the beginning. Eating a burger with lettuce leaves can be a good start.
- Bulletproof coffee may be your ultimate fix before you jump into ketosis. You might be wondering what bulletproof coffee is, well, just add coconut oil and butter to your coffee. This amazing thing can help you control your appetite, while you can plan other meals. However, if you have an increased risk of heart disease, you may want to avoid coconut oil as it can increase the level of LDL in your body.
- You need to know what to expect and have a very clear idea about it. In this article, we take you through all the pros and cons of the ketogenic diet as of late. However, at this point, the keto flu is the most common minor side effect while in ketosis. However, you should have a better understanding of all the side effects before you start your weight loss campaign.
- Our kidneys excrete water and electrolytes from our bodies. Therefore, when you go into ketosis, you need to make sure that you have paid attention to your body’s sodium and potassium intake. Save your electrolytes. This will help you prevent the nasty side effects of ketosis. Always keep track of the plan. Because ketosis is not a long-term weight loss solution, it will surely reduce your weight, but to maintain it you also need to make the urge visible.
- Experts suggest that you shouldn’t start the standard diet again. This will infer the health benefits that have been gained from the ketogenic diet. You are more likely to gain weight. So see your doctor and maybe come up with a better diet.
Okay, we got it. Keto diet this, keto diet that. But what are the benefits of this diet program?
Well, there are a lot of benefits to going on a ketogenic diet. Here is some:
Promotes weight loss
The first and foremost reason for following a ketogenic diet is that this diet promotes weight loss. It takes a lot to turn fat into energy. Therefore, a ketogenic diet promotes weight loss. The high protein diet doesn’t leave you hungry like other diets and it also helps stimulate your brain.
Well, a lot of us didn’t know that a ketogenic diet helps reduce acne scars. We have a high carbohydrate diet that will increase the number of bacteria in the gut every day. This can have negative effects on the health of our skin. Reducing the intake of carbohydrates in a daily diet will help solve this problem.
It can have great effects in reducing cancer:
The ketogenic diet can have great effects in preventing or reducing certain cancers. Some studies have shown ketogenic diets to be a great chemotherapy treatment.
Improves heart health:
When a ketogenic diet is followed correctly, your heart health will improve. There is some evidence that a healthy diet can lower LDL and increase HDL levels in our bodies. It can help keep our hearts healthy.
It can stimulate the functioning of the brain:
There is still room for more research on the ketogenic diet and its effects on our brains. However, some studies suggest that there might be neuroprotective benefits. The ketogenic diet can have great effects on conditions like Parkinson’s disease, sleep disturbances, and even Alzheimer’s disease. Our brains run on ketones. Hence, it can also improve the functioning of the brain.
Potentially reduces epileptic seizures:
It is believed that the combination of protein, fat, and carbohydrate can alter our body’s energy pathway, leading to ketosis. This is a high level of ketones in the blood. But it can also reduce seizures in people with epilepsy.
This is the huge list of benefits of having a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic diet can help us get the most out of our bodies. It helps us to be healthy and fit. It makes us feel much healthier.
Some tips to follow while on a ketogenic diet
Here are some tips to follow while in ketosis. See the list below.
Minimize your carbohydrate intake
Well, we’ve been telling you that since we started this article. If you’re ready to go into ketosis, you should be on a low-carb diet. Our bodies usually burn carbohydrates for energy, but ketosis promotes a diet that is high in fat and low in protein. Hence, you need to reduce your daily carbohydrate intake.
Include coconut oil in your diet
As mentioned, coconut oil can help your body enter ketosis. Ketosis is a condition of our body, and coconut oils are foods that can help you reach this state faster. These coconut oils are medium-chain triglycerides. These medium-chain triglycerides are absorbed directly by the liver; then they are immediately burned to energy.
Increase your physical activities
Numerous studies have found that a ketogenic diet can help athletes to a great extent, especially with resistance exercise. Ketosis, if achieved once, can dramatically boost your energy levels. Glycogen is stored in our bodies when we train or engage in strenuous physical activity. It tires us out. However, on a ketogenic diet, decreasing carbohydrate intake helps reduce the rate of glycogen storage.
Increase your intake of healthy fats
Eating healthier fats can help you increase ketone levels in our blood and help us reach ketosis faster. Ketogenic diets for weight loss, metabolic health typically provide 60-80% of calories. However, the classic ketogenic diet used for epilepsy is even higher in fat.
Maintain adequate protein intake
Maintaining adequate protein intake is another very important tip when following a ketogenic diet. This diet low in carbohydrates, high in fat and protein may also be beneficial for cancer patients.
Important points before starting a ketogenic diet:
You might still have questions about ketogenic diets. So here are your answers. Here are a few more things you should know about the ketogenic diet.
The difference between net carbs and real carbs:
Net carbs are the number of carbs that are present even after dietary fiber, sugar alcohol is subtracted from the carb count. Many people on the keto diet don’t count fiber in their total carbohydrate intake for a day. This is because this fiber comes from foods that meet keto requirements, like avocados and broccoli, as well as berries. The carbohydrates in these fibers are unusable for the body to produce energy.
Your goals will determine your “low carb” diet chart:
With a ketogenic diet, you will have fewer carbs than even someone on a low-carb diet. Your carbohydrate intake will be determined based on your age, gender, activity level, and most importantly, your specific goals.
Will you be hungry?
Well, with a ketogenic diet your appetites will be suppressed. With a ketogenic diet, you won’t be very hungry. This is great, and you don’t have to worry about that fact.
How serious is the keto flu?
Carbohydrates are the normal source of energy in our bodies. With a low-carb ketogenic diet, your body will switch to the second option for providing you with energy. Now, in the first few days, your body will process the symptoms of the keto flu. However, it is not a very serious illness. And it will eventually disappear.
Now that we know almost every aspect of a keto diet, here are the pros and cons of a keto diet.
Starting with the benefits of the ketogenic diet:
- Losing excess weight is the most basic benefit of a ketogenic diet.
- It can help prevent cancer.
- It can help improve the functioning of our brain.
- Promotes heart health.
- Promotes healthy skin.
- This diet can reduce seizures.
- It can increase your energy level.
The cons of the ketogenic diet are:
- You may develop concerns about a kidney stone.
- The most common side effect of this diet is the keto flu.
- Sometimes you won’t have enough sugar for your body.
- Fewer carbohydrates are not always good.
So these are the pros and cons of following a ketogenic diet.
Here in this article, we’ve covered almost every aspect of the ketogenic diet and ketosis.
Check out this article and you will get all your questions answered here.